Sunday, November 1, 2009

To Write a Book, Or Not...

Today is November 1st, 2009. This is the day that NaNoWriMo starts, and it's on my "32 Things" list. NaNoWriMo stands for National Novel Writing Month. Every November, for 30 days, people go crazy trying to write a book in one month. The goal is to write 50,000 words in 30 days or less. What this means is, every day, one participating in this event should write about 5-6 pages of a book each day.

I really want to accomplish this feat.

The trouble is, I don't have a story. A book needs to have a plot - a beginning, middle, and end. And some good stuff in between. I think it's supposed to be fictional, so I can't write about my own life. Plus, my life has a beginning, but I'm still in the middle, and how am I supposed to know how it's gonna end?

I actually attempted NaNoWriMo a couple years ago. I was in Newport, Oregon, living with my Mom for a few months, saving money and getting ready to move to Vegas. A strange and unfortunate condition took over my body for 6 solid weeks. As a result of a mis-diagnosis and mistreatment by the Newport Hospital Emergency doctors, I was covered in hives from the top of my head to the tips of my toes. It was a miserable experience. I never slept more than an hour and a half each day. I took between 10 and 80 pills a day to try and remedy my affliction. I was in constant, excruciating pain. My kidneys and liver were failing. And I was in a true state of delirium most of the time. So, I decided to write a book.

I think I got to about 12000 words or so, but it was mostly ramblings. But, it was one of the only happy things I can remember from that time. Hives and kidney failure weren't going to keep me down.

Now, I am in Vegas. My life, and body, are hive-free. I am experiencing lots of happy things. I am actually writing quite often. I'm much more prepared for NaNoWriMo this time around. But I still don't have a story.

I guess I better find one, 'cause time's a-waistin'.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Jewel of the Lion's Shop on Etsy's Fan Box

Julie's Blog and Beyond - A Writer's Life's Fan Box

Twitter

Aunt Helen's Pumpkin Bread - FOUR (4) LOAVES - ON SALE NOW!!